A Split Victory: How I Style My Hair in Victory Rolls

A Split Victory: How I Style My Hair in Victory Rolls



This picture of me with my victory rolls got a lot*of likes on Instagram, and even resulted in two follows from a couple of rockers from Brazil.**  This style has been a hit with lots of people I meet on the street and at work, and so, I will show you how I do it.  I taught myself how to do victory rolls from a little tutorial on Pinterest that I will link to here, but I will also verbally explain how it is done using my own words and 9 easy steps.  Before you start the victory rolls, plug in a tiny-barreled curing iron to heat for the tiny barrel curls on the bottom portion of hair.
1. So, I start by sectioning off the hair on top of my head if I were to do a simple half-up ponytail.  
2. Then I split that top section in half in a center part (which looks super cool if you happen to have each side of your head dyed in two opposing colors a la Cruella DeVille).  
3. Pin one of those aside for later and focus on one of those half sections.  For a little extra volume, I carefully tease the section of hair with a teasing brush.  
4. Then, smooth the section on the outside, while gathering it to a point like a horn on a goat.  
5. Then, I place one hand on top of my head in a karate chop fashion, and then wrap the “horn” of hair around all for fingers once.  
6. I continue to wrap the hair around my fingers, taking a finger away with each circuit until all of the hair has been wrapped up into a roll. Pin the roll into place using one or two pins***close to the place where you parted your hair.  
7. Repeat on the other side.  
8. Then I apply LOTS of hairspray, smoothing out the flyaways with my other hand as I go.
Now for the bottom half, I gently tease each side, again for more volume.  Spray the teased hair, pulling it away from your head and fanning it out with your fingers.  Yeah, I like big hair and I cannot lie. So, sue me.  Getting back to the process here, I split my hair into a right and left half.  I begin making a little vertical section starting on the back of my head and curling them with the tiny-barreled curling iron. Make another vertical section next to that one, edging out to the front of your head, and curl it in the opposite direction.  This will help to keep the baby barrel curls separate.  Continue making vertical barrel curls until you reach the front.  Now switch, and do the other half of your head, again, starting from the back.  More HAIRSPRAY!!
Now for the flowers:  These were given to me as a gift by one of my best friends on the planet whom I will call Lavender as she is beautiful and speaks in the most calm and soothing voice EVER.  Lavender bought these hair flowers (which can also double as a broach) on Amazon in a variety pack of colors.  I think the more traditional way to do the flowers in old Hollywood was two matching flowers, but since myhair doesn’t currently match on both sides, why should the flowers? Some advice on these particular flowers, clip them with the hair clip side towards your face and the pin/broach side away.  If you do not do it this way, the laws of gravity will pull the flower away from your face and expose the pin/broach side, which is not as pretty as the front of the flower. Remember that these flowers are supposed to frame your eyes, so the center of them should fall at eye level.The petals may sweep out and touch your face, but I do not find it bothersome.
There you go!  Don’t you look beautiful?  I certainly think so.

*By “a lot” I mean that I got 8 likes, which is the most likes I’ve ever had on Instagram.  I wasn’t popular in high school, so why should I be popular on Instagram either like some conformist? No one bothered to comment, but no one ever comments here either from what I can tell.

**The Brazilian rockers are Radial 80 and Bruno Sant’Anna.  For a brief time there, Bruno’s band Bloody Mary BM was following me, too, but I think they figured out how uncool I am.  Oh, well.  Thanks for sticking around, Bruno!  You are awesome.

***Black colored hairpins work fine for the dark purple side of my hair, but Target sells these tiny hairpins in bright colors, some which match the pink on my pink half of hair.  I don’t see any hairpins in the photo, do you?

Comments

Popular Posts